Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Round Three

Well holy chips it's been a busier week than I thought it would be. Completely forgot I had Friday off for Veteran's Day, and it seems my teachers are just piling on the reading. Of course I might just be feeling that way since I have to read Faulkner... I have discovered that I do not like stream of consciousness writing.

On a happier note, I've hit 42,000 words. I was hoping to be finished by today, but all that reading sort of got in the way. But I'm hoping to finish tomorrow night since it isn't a school night, and if that doesn't work I'm going to a Write-In on Friday, so it's all covered.

Tonight also happened to be the third of six of my publishing classes. And we finally got into talking about agents and all the different stuff publishers do. It was fascinating. I loved learning about the acquiring editor and the publicity team versus the marketing team versus so many other different people. We also read our back of the book summary and were given a short critique of it. Except for being told to tighten up one sentence, WriterHelper loved it. Homework: write a query letter.

I must admit I had to look at the table not to blush at this one, considering I have sent out about 10 queries WAY before I should have. But oh well, there's a learning curve with this thing. And I felt proud at knowing all the websites she suggested for finding agents, several of which are in the "links" page of my blog.

Have a wonderful night, everyone, and good luck with your books!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a fun milestone! More than 40,000 words - nice!

    Hope the week slows down so you can write and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete