Saturday, November 5, 2011

Icon Association

If I said I had Justin Beiber's hair, Angelina Jolie's lips, and as many kids as Kate Gosselin, you would probably know what I meant. Why is that? Why do we assign traits to stars, whether they are deserving of the title or not, that live on for years? Cary Grant and Humphrey Bogart are some of the most famous romantic icons. Hugh Hefner is the Playboy.

Do we do this in our reading and writing? This question is twofold. When you read, do you picture a person you know or have seen on TV or in a movie, even if that person does not totally fit the description the author gives you? I know I do. It's unintentional. And I think I know why I do it - because I have seen them and can fill in the gaps the book does not give me. As time progresses, we chop character descriptions down to the minimum (hair, eye color, height, angular or soft features). But if we have a model in our minds, we can have an entire image.

Then there is the second part. When we write do we base our characters off of real people? Or perhaps other characters we love? I know the dog in WIND CHASER is based off my own pup in everything except size. Is it easier to write a character if we have an entire picture in our heads, or maybe even taken from the internet?

I've given you move questions than answers. But it's something to think about. Our pop culture affects our lives, whether we consciously decide to let it, or not.

And for the record, my grown out pixie will stop resembling Beiber hair in less than a month. And I don't have Jolie lips or 8 kids. Just the hair.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, usually I just let my imagination run wild if I'm reading the book first. If I've seen a TV series or movie first, and then read the book though...it's usually a combo of my imagination and the TV figure. Fun questions!

    It's also great fun to search out who would play your characters if your novel ever hit the big screen. :)

    ReplyDelete