Monday, November 28, 2011

Happy Holidays

This is almost every students' favorite time of year. We get a break for Thanksgiving, and less than a month later we're off for 3 weeks for winter break. I know I love it! Two weeks and it's back to the house to watch Christmas movies by the bucket load, hope and pray for snow, and to help decorate the tree.

This is my favorite time of year. My family always does Christmas in a big way. Actually, holidays in general are big for us. For my two weeks here I have a string of lights wrapped around the bottom of my lofted bed, a wire tree with a gold star, 2 mini stockings, and a gel-stick penguin with snowflakes on the window.

One unfortunate thing about the holidays though is that it promotes laziness in this writer. Sleeping, reading, eating, and watching movies is almost the only thing I'm good for during this season. I don't know what it is. Perhaps it's the clouds that seem so gray. Perhaps it's my way of procrastinating on work. But I think the most likely reason of all, is that it's just such a contenting month.

When I write, often it's because I'm unhappy with the way life is going around me, and writing is a way to slip into another world for a while. Other times I write because I'm restless and the work calms me down. But during the holiday season, I'm very very, scarily, content.

I guess all of this was to say that I love the holidays, even though it makes my WIPs suffer.

What interferes most with your writing?

1 comment:

  1. Great question! The only way I can sum it up is "Lack of Time." That's what interferes the most. My ideas are always there...I just need to somehow capture a chance to get them out of my head. I can write pretty much anywhere as long as I have a couple seconds, minutes or hours of breathing room. ;)

    ReplyDelete