Friday, November 11, 2011

Big News

Well, folks, it's been one heck of a week. I finished reading Fire by Kristin Cashore (highly recommend it), and kept on top of my reading for school (an amazing feat in itself). I got a solid A on my one in-class midterm, and 100% on one of my papers for history. And if that weren't enough to send me through the roof with happiness, it's a three day weekend which I will be spending with my family, relaxing and hopefully writing away happily.

Oh, yeah, and I finished NaNoWriMo! Funnily enough, since I had already started WIND CHASER last year, having about 20k in random scenes and an opening chapter, the first draft of my second novel is now complete. Wow. I feel....odd. I thought at first that these books would be a trilogy, that I would need another novel to finish the maturation of Sarah and Jonathan. But when I wrote the final scene, I realized I didn't need that last book.

Both of these characters has changed so much from the people I thought they would be, and from the people they were at the beginning of GRIFFIN'S SONG. I've grown up with them, experimented with their emotions, and put them through literal hell.

So it is with great pleasure that I announce that the first draft of WIND CHASER is complete at 70,000 words. Of course later will come the editing and adding of scenes, and cutting of bad scenes. But that's later, and right now I'm just celebrating.

This is one small step for books, one big leap for this college writer.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, awesome, Heather! Congratulations! I love that feeling of reaching the end of a draft, even if you know the work's only just beginning. ;)

    ReplyDelete