Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Wake Up Call

Well, I got a general critique on my novel, and it couldn't have been more helpful. That's the thing about writing a book, and then being too shy to let anyone you know read it - you can't improve. But boy did I get some helpful advice tonight!

To my critique partner, Seabrooke, thank you so much!

Now that I know what to focus on to improve my story, I can have a better manuscript. It's amusing - the thing I always thought was hardest was characterization. I've known these characters for so long that I don't know if I'm conveying them well enough to the reader. But it turns out I have other things to think about.

It looks like another round of edits is in the offing.

In other news, I had a burst of writing today, which generated two new story ideas (as if I needed any more). One being an alternate history slavery book, and the other involving Fancy Girls. I just need to find a reliable source where I can learn about them. I also worked on the sequel to GRIFFIN'S SONG - WIND CHASER which is coming along slowly but steadily at 16k.

What's the most difficult part of the writing process for you? Why?

Good night, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you've found them helpful! I'm never certain if I'm on the right track with what the author is looking for from my critique. I'm definitely keen to read the sequel. :)

    The hardest part of the writing process for me is edits/revisions, and the hardest part of edits/revisions is just getting started. I can write the first draft in short snippets as I have time, but I dislike doing that with editing 'cause it requires a much larger view of the story and I find it harder to refocus after a break than during drafting. So I tend to put it off till I have a longer window of time, but longer windows of time can be hard to come by. ;)

    ReplyDelete