Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I Can Die Happily Now

Tonight, ladies and gentlemen, I met Tamora Pierce. That's right. The author of more than 25 books, whose newest novel, Mastiff, came out today, I MET HER!!! She was doing a signing in Seattle and I can honestly say I haven't laughed that much in a long time.

She was great. She answered questions for an hour and a half, then signed books. She wrote in my copy of Alanna The First Adventure: "redheads rock!" Seeing as I am a ginger who for a while looked like Alanna due to an unfortunately grown out pixie cut, I love it.

Meeting one of my idols, one of the people who inspired me to become a writer, was perhaps one of the most amazing moments of my life. She was so....normal. Funny, a little eccentric, but amazingly, I felt connected to her as a writer. The things she talked about made so much sense. The problems in publishing, the nay-sayers of YA, the way our characters take over our heads until they tell us where the story is supposed to go. She knew them all, and was more than willing to talk about them.

She was everything I was hoping for and more. I am unashamed to say I did a little dance when I left the store with my signed copies of Alanna and Mastiff.

Off to read! Enjoy your evening, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. That's so exciting! I had the opportunity to meet one of my idols once, and have him sign a couple of books. I took every one of my books that I owned of his (in retrospect I might've just picked my favourite and had him personalize it; since I had so many, he just signed his name). My stomach was full of butterflies the entire time, but he was a totally down-to-earth, normal person. It's nice to be reminded that our favourite authors are humans too. Just like us. Kinda gives you hope for yourself, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome experience! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seabrooke, who did you meet? :) And you're right! It did make me hopeful. Especially when she said she liked female pirates!

    Nicole, you are very welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim Flannery, a non-fiction author. He'd been doing a tour for his book The Weather Makers.

    A couple of years ago I was at a writers' conference where Susanna Kearsley was doing a session. I looked up her books later and she's since become one of my favourite authors. I really wish I'd known of her before, so I would've gone up to her afterward to talk to her.

    Hee. I like that Tamora said that. Has she read about a lot of female pirates? ;)

    ReplyDelete