Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Other WIP

Now that GRIFFIN'S SONG is off to my critique partner I'm spending time with a pet project. TRAPPED IN MY HEAD is a young adult novel focusing on the social system in high schools, and how everyone has a motive, no matter how simple.

I began this project while I was at the coast, working. It started as emotional purging, for I wrote into the characters traits of people I knew. But after writing the general idea, I started into the character descriptions. And the story just took off.

If you've ever seen She's the Man, you'll know the kind of story I'm talking about. Everyone has preconceptions, and something in their life that forces them to act certain ways. Be it love, disease, homework, heartbreak, or parent troubles, there is always a motive.

And that's why I started writing TIMH, starring Ellie, a seventeen-year-old with Ivy League aspirations and a boyfriend who dumped her for her friend. Enter Sage, a plump eighteen-year-old, who is as prickly as a cactus. With her family moving to Los Angeles after graduation, she's just trying to survive her senior year and the other kids' taunting. When the two meet all hell breaks loose, secrets come out into the open, and no one knows if it's for better or for worse.

What started out as emotional downpour now has full character charts, a story outline, and 12,000 words. Every time I work on this project I slip back into my own senior year, and I can't help but remember everything that happened - good and bad.

It's probably just a purging novel, that I won't try to polish and sell. But it certainly is fun to write.

Enjoy your weekend, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment