Thursday, September 8, 2011

Editing

I have a love-hate relationship with editing. On the one hand I truly believe that revisions are making my manuscript better, but on the other they are such a big pain in the rear. Yes, I've cut almost 8,000 words from the story, and it is more concise. Yes you get more flavor with the characters now.

But sometimes I still want to chuck the whole thing in a bin. This is about the 6th time I've done a full edit, changing the plot, adding and snipping. Now I'm slashing and burning. I need this book to be a reasonable length. Then I can continue with my querying as I work towards finishing the first draft of the sequel.

The scene I mentioned in an earlier post? The one I'd have to redo? Now it's completely gone. I toyed with the notion of adding a new scene, but it would just be to increase the amount of dialogue, not further the plot. So I deleted it.

Given this frustrated attitude, I've developed a reward system. For every chapter I edit, I get to read a chapter of whatever book I want. I've read over half a book this way.

But I just finished my allotted chapter, and it's back to the grindstone. I wish I knew for certain what I'm doing  will pay off in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment