Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Death of 3rd Person

It's probably not an actual death. But it sure as heck feels like one. It might just be the books I've picked up recently, but they all seem to be in first person. And I have no beef with first person, although it sometimes seems like a way to cop out of making truer connections between the character and reader. Heck, I've even written a few stories in first person.

But the repetition got me to thinking about why more books appear to be using "I" and "me" instead of "he" and "she". And I wonder if it has to do with media. Like as not there have been hundreds of posts like this on other authors' blogs, but I wanted to put out my two cents.

Since we live in a world of Twitter and Facebook and Google+, we are used to talking about ourselves to other people over media forms in the first person. Of course we are, because referring to yourself in third person can look rather odd. I once had a substitute teacher who only talked in third person. Interesting guy, but very weird.

So I'm wondering if these media outlets have influenced our writing style. We are now so adjusted to the immediate information surge of these places that it changes our writing to reflect it. More action, more dialogue, less internal conflict. Because to keep up in this technology age, you need to have an instantaneous reaction, otherwise everything has changed and you just sit there with a confused and slightly dazed expression.

1 comment:

  1. It depends on genre. Epic fantasy still favors third person. I think urban fantasy and paranormal romance favor first more. Not as sure on other genres or on mainstream (I'd expect more first in this one), since I read them less.

    ReplyDelete