Wednesday, September 28, 2011

1 Down...So Many More to Go...

And two classes later, I've finished my first college day! Please restrain your wild cheering. I received a Poe reading called "The Man of the Crowd" that was very interesting. It concerns a man who is watching London stroll by him while he's in a cafe. The character descriptions are amazing! Even though each sentence refers to several people he sees, you can picture each one clearly.

My favorite one is as follows: "...the loathsome and utterly lost leper in rags-- the wrinkled, bejewelled, and paint begrimed beldame, making a last effort at youth."

In that one sentence is an entire story that we don't get to finish. And I have an image of her in my head. Dirty brown hair, long skirt faded from too many washings, large blue eyes with lots of makeup around the corners to hide the crow's feet. I feel sorry for this woman, and she doesn't even have a name.

These are the characters that make books worth reading. The descriptions that are unusual and moving, even if in the long run you won't remember them. This short story reminds me of Iva Ibbotson's books. If you haven't read them, you should! It's historical romance, but very light and has multiple plot lines.

1 day of college down, and I'm loving it!

What is your favorite character description, or one that made you really connect with the person?

No comments:

Post a Comment