Monday, August 29, 2011

Research Wish List

If there's one thing I've learned from reading whenever I have the chance, it's that, to create a good book, you have to be believable. Even in fantasy novels you have to have an element of reality so the reader can connect, and continue to enjoy the novel. That means doing your homework. For  those of you who have looked at my "Works in Progress" page, you know that my main novel, the one that is nearing completion, takes place on the ocean. Now, my father had a career at sea, so I can get tidbits from him. But below are some books that I would love to have which concern everything from the dangerous job of coastal mapping, to pirate tactics in the 18th century.



Two Years Before the Mast
The Coast Mappers
The Ocean Almanac
Encyclopedia of the Sea
Seafaring Lore and Legend
The Pirate Primer: Mastering the Language of Swashbucklers and Rogues
The Pirate Dictionary
The Republic of Pirates: Being the True and Suprising Story of the Caribbean Pirates and the Man Who Brought Them Down
The Sea Rover's Practice: Pirate Tactics and Techniques, 1630-1730

It's amazing how one's work can come across in the books they wish to read, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment