Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Revelation of Small Proportions

I'm taking a small break from querying and researching agents. Partially this is because I have little time to query, am working on cutting my word count, as well as getting rid of the "that"s. However, I now have another reason.

Another plot point, that should hopefully reduce my word count rather than increase it. You see, in Deceptor, the main character's father has been offered a new job. Now, on a short tangent that should make sense in a moment, how many other people have revelations while in the shower? I know I do. It was under the warm spray that I realized that my family was conspiring to have my favorite cousin surprise me at school. And lo and behold, she was waiting outside my last period that day. So, how does this connect with Sarah's father? Well, it came in a flash to me that it would have been rather rare in the late 17th century, early 18th century, for a person to be offered a job on another continent. News didn't travel very quickly back then.

So instead, I am changing that part of the plot. I don't want to give away too much, but it involves a man named Rupert, who owns the Hapsburg manor that the Whitmans live in, and who visits when Sarah is ten.

Showers can be wonderful things.

Has anyone else had a revelation like this that changed their story? What was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment