Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Human Spectacle

I work in a small town, even smaller than the one I live in. There is a fantastic view of the ocean, which I appreciate, and often use as fuel for my own novel. But there is very little in the way of stuff to do, if you have spent enough time there to have already gone to the small museum and gotten ice cream.

While I work I like to watch the people, make stories about why they have visited my little town, and what prompted them to come to this store. Unfortunately, this can lead to some rather awkward spacing out moments. Take today for example - I was contemplating this family of 6 or 7, with 3 children all girls. Just as I was internally debating whether or not they were in town for a reunion, or for the 4th of July, or just on a family jaunt, I noticed someone staring at me.

Because apparently I'd been staring at him. Oppsies. Sometimes being a writer and thinking about these sorts of things can lead to not only looking at the human spectacle, but being part of it myself.

Must remind self not to space out at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment