Friday, July 1, 2011

After A Respite

My last post seemed rather desolate, didn't it? Well I'm happy to announce that I am in a much peppier spirit. Since graduation, and the resultant time spent at friends' houses signing yearbooks, I have come to a truce with my silly emotions. And have embarked on a much more exciting journey - finding a literary agent.

Those two words still send chills down my body. I started with the obvious - researching different agencies that handle young adult fiction. And, quite quickly, I found sites that I absolutely love. It may be a little late to jump on the band-wagon, but for those of you who aren't aware of them, you need to check them out!

1) Preditors and Editors: This site is great for avoiding scams, agencies that have closed down, and those that require you to use their editing service.

2) Association of Authors' Representatives: This site is another fantastic place to look up agents. Some of them list the genres they are looking for, which is wonderful so you don't have to spend twenty minutes perusing an agency's site to find out they aren't accepting queries from certain genres

3) Absolute Write Water Cooler: I know, I know, it's a forum. But it's a useful resource for seeing what other peoples' experiences have been with agencies. Quite heartening to know we aren't the only ones out there struggling to find that one person to help transform us from struggling writer to a happy one.

4) Miss Snark's Blog: Perhaps you've already heard of her. You've read through her advice and seen the singed feathers and meticulous tearing down of our puffed up ideals, all surrounded by anecdotes about George Clooney and her adorable dog, Killer Yapp. In a nutshell, every author's dream when it comes to writing a query letter.

I hope these links help you other writers out there, if you haven't already found them!

No comments:

Post a Comment