Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Plight of the Second Semester Senior

For all of you who are in, or have already graduated, high school, you know the term to be "senioritis". Used so much nowadays that I expect it will enter the dictionary within the decade. A terrible sickness that strikes those upperclassmen. Some get it in the beginning of the year, their grades take a nosedive, and they end up having their acceptance to that wonderful college that their parents adore, withdrawn. Then there are the cases of AP students. You take the test, and then, suddenly, the last 2 months of the school year lose all meaning.

I am declaring myself to be part of this second group. My 3 AP tests are done, and I have finally succumbed to the dreaded "senioritis." And not only is my school work suffering (clinging to my A in physics by my fingernails), but so is my writing. Motivation, how I wish you would return.

I have recently become a fan of Nathan Bransford's blog, and am trying to use his quirky words to re-motivate myself to work on my more recently started sci-fi novel, since I'm obviously not spending my time doing something constructive...like my calculus homework.

He has put forth several posts about the rise and fall of a story, and how it normally works. I don't know about you, but I'm becoming a bit of a cynic about the similarities of climaxes and mini-climaxes within a book. Note to self: if the main character has a harrowing experience, then they'd better learn something from it or else they aren't very smart and that is a character flaw that needs some fixing. Unless the character is supposed to be a simpleton, of course.

That being said, I should probably follow my own advice and do my homework. After all, last time I didn't finish an assignment my teacher was not pleased. See? Character growth!

No comments:

Post a Comment